The Project that Almost Did Me In {aka stenciling my powder room}

In my February plan post, I mentioned I wanted to do some work in our powder room. I'd always thought I wanted to have a statement paper in my half bath, but papers are expensive and not for the commitment-phobic. 

The next best thing, I thought, would be to stencil it. I'm not talking about the little stencil borders, I'm talking about an all over bold, graphic pattern - something that might give the impression of wall paper. 
These types of stencils are all over blogland and true to form, I assumed my normal mantra: if I've seen it done, surely I can do it too. Well, let me just tell you, this is the project that nearly had me hang up my beloved DIY hat. Whoever said stenciling is easy, clearly never worked in a small space with lots of corners and moldings.

Here's the brief play by play: It started off easy enough,

Then started to get a bit trickier as I neared the corners,

And THEN became almost laughable when the corners met up with the moldings.

At this point, I realized that the stencil was NOT going to be perfect. Once I came to terms with that, the whole project became much more manageable. In the end, I had to cut the stencil to make smaller pieces that would fit my space. Whatever works, right? 

So, it's done. 
I thought it would only take me an afternoon. But, in reality, it was a two day project. Mostly because I had to keep walking away because it was SO frustrating, but also because my girls were not wanting to nap! {also very frustrating.}

Is it perfect? No. 
Did I go back through with a craft brush to fix some of the bigger areas? You bet I did. 
Did I get crazily obsessed over it? I tried not to.
Does it look like wallpaper? Maybe from a distance, but certainly not up close. 
Am I still happy with the outcome? Yes, I am. 

Linking in with: 

Until next time, 

BGR: Stencil

Remember this image from my resolutions post?

Don't worry, it was just a place holder to help me decide if I really wanted a big 'BGR' on my daughter's bedroom door. As it turns out, I'm sure you'll be surprised to know, I did like it! 
Here's how it came together...

Gather your supplies - fortunately, I already had everything I needed from a different stenciling project that I have been planning for months and have yet to get started on.

I started with the middle initial.

The biggest piece of advice I can give when it comes to stenciling - secure your stencil.
It's nearly impossible to get a nice line with a stencil that is slipping all over the place!

Using a thin layer of paint, start at the edge with a stabbing motion. (make sure to hold the edges of the stencil flat!) Keep going until you've reached your intended color saturation.

The paint I used took 48 hours to dry! So slow; not sure what that was all about really. Needless to say, it really put a damper on this project.

One week later and I was ready to get started again!

The moment of truth...

Not bad for a first timer!

Seriously, though, this was a bit nerve wracking because my stencils weren't sheer; I had to kind of guess on the paint on a white door, I was definitely imaging the worst!

BGR = Big Girl Room

Because a special room deserves a special sign.
And because I'm proud of myself for completing the first project I started on this blog and my daughter is proud of herself for transitioning out of the nursery!

Seems like a good enough reason to me.

Linky Parties