I pulled a little pump fake on you the other week, didn't I? I teased you with inspirational problem window fixes and promises of new bedroom layouts...and then, nothing. I went on and on about our great trip to Michigan and my bloggy birthday - I mean, honestly, that is not very cool.
Rest assured, because I am back with an update that includes my new relaxed roman shades. What do you think?
You may remember that these started off as $24 panels I found at Restoration Hardware Outlet. I used about 25" of each panel to tackle the vanity skirt update and was bound and determined to use the remainder to dress our problem windows.
Nice, right? I'm really happy with these non-functioning, purely decorative coverings. But, let me tell you, it was not all smooth sailing getting to this point.
I cut and hemmed the panels to fit within the window casing, hung them on tension rods and then the fun really began. There was a lot of muttering, pining, muttering, expletives, and more pining. And that was just the first try, which left me with the above.
I finally found the relaxed shape I loved, but then this happened. The weight of the fabric caused the center to pull too low, leaving nothing at the sides.
Velcro, baby. Velcro.
My new best friend. Literally. At least when it comes to this project. I pulled the panel to the edge of the shade and velcro-ed it all together. Success.
Once they were up, velcro, pins and all, I left them for a couple of days just to make sure I was happy with the results. Then I had to take them down and actually sew, by hand, all the folds together. That part was not fun.
Not fun at all.
But the upside is, no more naked windows. And that has to count for something.
linking in with:
until next time,