The Making of a Fall Wreath

You probably know by now that I'm really not a crafty person - but I do try. So, after several weeks spent looking for the perfect Fall wreath and finding absolutely nothing in my color scheme, I decided to try my hand at a semi-homemade wreath.

Where better to start this project than Michael's - so off I went. Fortunately, I was shopping alone so I was able to spend a bit of time checking out the goods. This is what I came away with:

A grapevine wreath
Eucalyptus
Faux dried lavender
 Dried lotus pods

I went with a purple and brown scheme to coordinate with my Fall front planters. I like this combo because it says Fall to me without being so obviously Fall, plus I wanted something that could last into early Winter and possibly re-appear after the Holidays as well.

I am envisioning something like this.

Let's get started!


First I added the eucalyptus.



Then the lavender.

I couldn't find my floral wire, so ended up using my tomato staking wire, not the best solution but it worked - you probably noticed the bright green wire!



Once it was hanging, it was easier to see where any additional eucalyptus was needed. These weren't secured in, just kind of wedged in, for lack of a better term.

I made sure I was happy with the big elements before I cut off the stems - once they are removed it's a lot harder to start over!


And finally, the lotus pods, which work perfectly to cover the ends of the stems and that pesky bright green wire!


I'm pretty please with how it turned out. And it smells good too!

What I am NOT liking is that boring, basic, black wreath hanger. Now I have to brainstorm on what I can do about that. Check back to see what I come up with.

Please note that this post, as well as other project based posts, can now be found under the Project Gallery tab on the navigation bar!

Linking in to the Shabby Nest and The Shabby Chic Cottage today - check out these blogs for some great inspiration!